Data and facts over the camp Elsterhorst

  Nardt belonged up to the governmental district Liegnitz Niederschlesien till 18.Juli 1945.
  To the map click please here.

On instruction of the national socialists to the Germanisierung of the wendischen settlement areas beside many other localities Niederschlesiens Nardt was renamed in Elsterhorst. One wanted thereby the bilingual (sorbisch and German) settlement areas  turns "in Germans".

starting from 1937 it came to first negotiations with Nardter citizen concerning the sales and/or the transfer of country for the structure of a camp.

Structure camps of the Elsterhorst. About 20 - 30 companies were assigned performing the work. At first the camp with approx. 350 prisoners of war from Czechoslovakia was occupied. These were accommodated still in approx. 12 to 15 tents. Polish prisoners had to accomplish the development with barracks, who arrested starting from 1939.

The camp, which to the military district IV - Dresden belonged, consisted of three ranges:

1. The actual prisoner-of-war camp with approx. 40 barracks on the today's airfield Nardt.

2. The Kommandantur and the crew accommodations 2. Land military contactor asking valley ion with 10 barracks at the today's B96 - road after Neuwiese.

3. The military hospital, the kitchen and laundry on the area of the today's national fire-brigade school Saxonia with 10 barracks and several solid buildings.

09/1939 - 10/ 1940
Base camp Stalag IV for Czech and Polish prisoners of war
10/ 1940 - 02/1941 Extension of the camp designation on Stalag IV A
06/ 1940 - 02/1945
Officer camp Oflag IV D for predominantly French officers as well as Belgians, British, Canadians and Yugoslav. The base camp was used occasionally also for Russian prisoners of war. Of 01.12.1944 a camp allocation of 5.223 is well-known.
Beginning of the evacuation of the French officers. About 750 patient stays. Up to the invasion of the Red Army above all Belgian and French prisoners of war came from the camps Bunzlau and Goerlitz lain more east to Elsterhorst.
24.04.1945 - 20.10.1945 Russian prisoner-of-war camp FPPL No. 30 for German soldiers of the former armed forces. This were to a large extent imprisoned taken soldiers of the battle around the Seelower heights and the fights for Berlin. Occasionally in this time up to 70.000 prisoners in the barracks, emergency tents and in the free one had interned.
Delivery of the camp Elsterhorst into German administration and use as dismissal and quarantine camps for the returning German soldiers. Commander of the camp was however further a Russian officer.
1946 - 1948 The camp Elsterhorst becomes resettlement camp for the refugees from Schlesien, Pommern, the Sudetengebiet and East Prussia. The former security guard camp is used as resettlement camp Neuwiese.

1946 was taken up 85.000 persons in the camp and from here to the again assigned residences to dismiss. 1947 was it again 73.500.

Since in the middle of November 1947 the resettler transportation were missing, up to the year end one quit to the camp personnel.

Director/conductor of the resettlement camp is Albert Stief, the later chairman of the committee of the worker and farmer inspection and Minister for guidance and control of the district and circle advice of the GDR. For further information click please here.

31.03.1948 Dissolution of the camp Elsterhorst
1957 The further use of the area began, as voluntary flight sportsmen broken off the remainders of the camp and established the airfield Nardt. Starting from 1958 the first starts were accomplished. Into the today's time from it the Aeroclub Hoyerswerda e.V. developed.
The French, British and Canadian soldiers and officers who deceased in the camp Elsterhorst between 1940 - 1945 were bury beside the cemetery by Nardt with military honours. They were exhumed and transported into their homelands in 1952.
The deceased Russian prisoners of war were bury within the rear range of the cemetery Nardt. In 1974 they were transported in the memorial place "Am Ehrenhain" in Hoyerswerda.

The number of deceased soldiers to end of war is ca. 255.


Due to the large hunger emergency, weakening and different epidemics and diseases after end of war in the camp Elsterhorst 621 German prisoner soldiers as well as 606 refugees from the German east areas died.

They were buried by the grave place Nardt, which is again made new in 1993.


"Reconciliation needs memory. Memory needs information."

Professor Dr. Guido Knopp
Historian, leader contemporary history by Second Channel of German Television